GABRIEL E. KARTOUCH
Freelance Translator / Interpreter
P.O. Box 834
Glendora, CA 91740
Tel: (626) 857-3656, (626) 771-9694;
Cell: (626) 488-2409; Fax: (626) 771-0420
Native and/or Fluent:
Conversational Partial Fluency
Freelance interpreter/translator, English <> Arabic, French > Arabic & French > English providing services to public and private agencies in the USA and around the world, 1991 - present
Founder, Director of Alliance Translation Solutions, Inc., 2006 - present
Adult Education Teacher of Arabic, Computers & Computer Networking, French & ESL at Azusa Unified School District, Spring 2004 – Spring 2007
Partner & President of WORLDLINK COMPLINK INC. / Computer and Communication services, 1997-2003
Engineer/Communication Officer and Translator/Interpreter for the Expansion of Lattakia Port Company and other Engineering Companies in Syria, 1980 -1991
M.S. in Civil / Environmental Engineering, California State University of Fullerton, USA, January 1997
Minor in French, California State University of Fullerton, USA, May 1997
Diploma in French Language & Literature, The French Institute, Syria & Aix University, France, August 1989
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Tishreen University, Lattakia, Syria, June 1980
Independent Courses in computers, theatre and narration in Arabic and English.
Outstanding computer and typing skills
Distinguished voice / excellent Arabic narrator
Speaks all Arabic dialects without exception
AWARDS, CERTIFICATES & Affiliations:
· Official Federal Court Freelance Interpreter/Translator, 2003 - present
· American Translators Association / Active Member
· Southern California Translators Association
· Outstanding Academic Achievement by the Civil Engineering Department of Cal State University, Fullerton, May, 1995
· Merit Certificate for Exceptional Work by the Languages Department in Cerritos College, CA, fall 1992.
· Scholarship by the University of Aix En Province in France for being the top student in the French Institute in Syria, summer of 1989.
Sample List of Interpretation Assignments:
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “International Promotion of Sustainable Engineering Initiative”, sponsored by the Michael Scott Mater Foundation and Oregon State University. A faculty exchange program, hands-on seminar and cultural exchange dialogue focused on green building materials/systems design and construction protocol. August 1 to August 14, 2009
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “International Border Management Systems Workshop”, sponsored by Sandia National Laboratories. The program discussed border security issues, challenges and equipment. June 16 to June 19, 2009.
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “SLD Mega-ports Familiarization Training for the Jordanian Delegation”, sponsored by National Nuclear Security Administration/NISA. May 16 to May 23, 2009.
- Simultaneous and Consecutive Interpreter for the “MENA Cold Chain Infrastructure Orientation Visit”, sponsored by The United States Trade and Development Agency. The program discussed cold storage, food safety principles, regulations and logistics. March 28 – April 1, 2009.
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “Consultation on Consumer Protection Law and Policy”, sponsored by The United States Agency for International Development. November 17 & 18, 2008.
- Simultaneous and Consecutive Interpreter for the “Egyptian Religious Leaders Interfaith Dialogue Project”, sponsored by the U. S. Department of State and Organized by Institute of International Education (IIE). April 24 to May 8, 2008.
- Live simultaneous interpreting and broadcasting for “Pangea Day”, an event sponsored by Sony Pictures. May 9 & 10, 2008.
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “MEET US Program for Business Executives, IT Managers”, sponsored by the U. S. Department of State and Organized by the Beyster Institute & Rady School of Management, UC San Diego. The event included presentations, workshops and site visits. March 11 to March 30, 2007; May 6 to May 25, 2007 (6 Weeks Total).
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “MEET US Program for Business Executives, IT Managers, NGOs & NPOs Executives & Management Personnel”, sponsored by the U. S. Department of State and Organized by the Beyster Institute & Rady School of Management, UC San Diego. The event included presentations, workshops and site visits. January 22 to February 10, 2006; March 27 to April 14, 2006; June 12 to June 29, 2006; September 4 to September 21, 2006 (12 Weeks Total).
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “MEET US Program for Executives, IT Managers”, sponsored by the U. S. Department of State and Organized by the Beyster Institute & Rady School of Management, UC San Diego. The event included presentations, workshops and site visits. January 16 to February 4, 2005; March 6 to March 25, 2005; August 7 to August 26, 2005 (9 Weeks Total).
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “MEET US Program for Executives from the MENA countries”, sponsored by the U. S. Department of State and Organized by the Beyster Institute & Rady School of Management, UC San Diego. The event included presentations, workshops and site visits. November 22 to December 3, 2004
- Simultaneous & Consecutive Interpreter for the “Iraqi Delegation during the Power-Gen International Conference”. The Delegation included the Minister of Electricity and the Deputy Minister of Oil. December 5 - 9, 2005.
- Simultaneous Interpreter for the “McDonald International Conference”. June 2 – 4, 2004
- Live Interpretation of “Al-Jazeera News & Bin Laden Tape” for NBC/Access Hollywood. October, 2001
- Simultaneous/Live Interpretation and Broadcasting of “Al-Thuraya (Arabic Satellite) Sea-Launch, Long Beach, California”. The launch was transmitted live to UAE and the Gulf Region. October, 2000
- Simultaneous conference interpreter for the “Inauguration of King Fahad Mosque, Culver City, California”. The event lasted for three days in the presence of U.S. government dignitaries, his highness Prince Abdulaziz Ben Fahad, and more than 10,000 people. July, 1998
- Thousands of Hours of Consecutive & Simultaneous Legal and Medical Interpretation for the Federal Court, Immigration Court, United States Attorney’s Office, Legal Firms, Doctors’ Clinics and Hospitals.
- Voice-over for many training videos, medical and technical, including: Health View, Wal-Mart, Agricultural and Medical Tapes for Saudi Arabia, off shore drilling training videos (Hazcom & Rowan).
Sample List of Translation Assignments:
- Ongoing translation of lectures and training material for the MEET US program, the program is sponsored by the State Department focusing on best business practices, technologies, and safety in the work place in the US. (300,000+ words)
- Ongoing translations of legal and financial material for the Federal Court, US Attorney’s Office and Legal Firms. (1,000,000+ words)
- Translation of Citigroup Code of Ethics and Web Training Material. (50,000+) 2008 & 2009
- Translation of Weatherford Code of Ethics and Legal Manuals. (50,000+ words) 2008 & 2009
- Translation of BOREALES MEDICAL RESEARCH AND STUDY, a medical document containing forms, newsletters and brochures. (50,000+ words) / 2008
- Translation and Voiceover of “Off Shore Drilling” material, containing technical/engineering booklets and safety manuals related to fires protection and combustible material storage and handling. (100,000+ words) / 2005 & 2007
- Translated the movie “Munich”, directed by Steven Spielberg, including Director and Shooting/Filming Notes. (100,000+ words) April, 2005
- Localization, editing and QA of IT software and manuals for NVIDIA Corp. (350,000+ words) 2003 – 2007
- Ongoing Translation and QC for the Movie Industry (NYPD, Angel, Dark Angel, Finding Nemo, Boston Public, ER, The Simpsons, The Practice, Sony Film Productions, etc.) 1999 – present
- Translated, edited, and revised several books and medical manuals in Arabic/French <> English, e.g. Blue Cross manuals. (300,000+ words)
- Translator & Interpreter for the United Arab Emirates Team, FLS Language Centers, California. 1995 & 1996